Women & Girls Only, All Ages >> Work, School & Education

Pages: 1
Dianna
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 20 2006
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Ezines or real zines? Got any?
      #1141 - Sat Jul 22 2006 07:11 AM

Meep. I'm looking for oppertunities as a writer. The first ones I've found are youngpoets.ca and newmoon.org
The latter is a feminist magazine and allies with AGA. I'm going to be sending my stuff in for the October deadline-easiest.
The first is one with occasional competitions and a seasonal zine.
I'm looking for more. Because I know writing doesn't tend to be a very money-making job at first I'd like to save up, starting ASAP. I want to be independant, in my own place, as soon as humanly possible.
Anyone who has a possible oppertunity, especially if you could find me an environmentalist recycled-paper-only type magazine, will be given much hugs an love.
I'd prefer one that sends at least one copy of the magazine with publication-unless it's an ezine-and pays, even if not very much. In return I'll send you oppertunities I see that you guys might be interested in.
Much love,
~Dianna

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HeatherAdministrator
Be-Musing Momma

Reged: Feb 05 2006
Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Ezines or real zines? Got any? [Re: Dianna]
      #1148 - Sat Jul 22 2006 02:21 PM

Best bet?

If you want to start doing written work for which you are paid, you'll need to start building clips. rarely are authors/journalists without a good handful of existing clips paid for pieces.

And even when you are, most independennt publications pay very little if anything at all: they simply rarely have the budget to do so. Most do, however, send author copies, pretty much as a rule.

Most writers pay the bills via other work, be that totally unrealted work (like teaching) or related, but less exciting work in writing, like copyediting. Some don't have to, but usually that's after years and years of writing, or getting really, really lucky.

What any writer who wants to publish should have a copy of is the current year's Writers Market. This is a BIG compiled, updated list of publishers, magazines, websites and other publications, with a summary of each, contacts, what they're looking for, and what typical payment is.

It's a big book, so not cheap, but libraries usually have a copy.

Don't have time today to go through mine for you, but here's a good online site expressly publishing teens which might be a good fit: http://www.alternet.org/about/wiretap_guidelines.html.

--------------------
If I had to characterize one quality as the genius of feminist thought, culture, and action, it would be the connectivity. - Robin Morgan

Dianna
AGA Blogger

Re: Ezines or real zines? Got any? [Re: Heather]
      #1159 - Sat Jul 22 2006 05:03 PM

Libraries=bad. I owe them money, so I'm avoiding them until I can get money. Which I never will since my only marketable skill /is/ writing.
I understand. Maybe some other time you can come back and send me any others. I'll check that one out.
Yeah I know a lot of writers have to have another job. But I hope I don't have to for the simple fact that I can't do anything other than write. Marketable skills? Bull. Best I can do is type fast and help out with a little French.

JennaD

Reged: Jul 04 2006
Loc: Scarborough, ON
Re: Ezines or real zines? Got any? [Re: Dianna]
      #1182 - Sun Jul 23 2006 06:11 PM

Skills are acquired. Go and learn some. You have plenty of time in which you can do so. You're still in school, so keep working hard and seeking out new opportunities to learn things. Especially keep up your French, bilingualism is a great asset, especially with French in Canada. :-)

On the 'zine side of things, my friend Peggy has recently started a 'zine called Duck vs. Radish (the link is to the LiveJournal community profile, which has all the info you need). It's a very broad, unfocussed 'zine about a lot of stuff. Regular features include "The Frolicking Eavesdropper," random drawings, and questions drawn from the sex ed helpdesk I run at a friend's website under my "Cookie Lady" persona. Submissions are most definitely on a volunteer basis, as it's a free 'zine, but the fact is, at least you're getting your writing somewhere. Furthermore, I just like promoting Peggy's 'zine. :-P Basically, anything that doesn't suck gets included. Suckiness is at Peggy's discretion. E-mail her at duckvsradish @ gmail.com if you'd like to submit anything for the September/October issue, and tell her Jenna sent you. :-)

--------------------
"The ultimate connection cannot be the enemy." - June Jordan

Sarah P

Reged: Jun 25 2006
Loc: Toronto, ONT, Canada
magazine / journal possibilities [Re: JennaD]
      #1183 - Sun Jul 23 2006 07:21 PM

you might want to check out 'shameless', which is a feminist magazine for girls. it's put out by people in toronto, too! (i was just at their issue-release party a couple nights ago!) here's the link for their contribution guidelines:

http://www.shamelessmag.com/contribute/

i've been published by 'undercurrents', which is a journal out of york university's environmental studies faculty. i'm not sure what their printing is like re: recycled content, but if anyone would have that stuff in mind, they would!

here's their website:
http://www.yorku.ca/currents/about.html#

you can pick up the journal at indy bookstores like pages, at queen/john. the website above is, unfortunately, out of date, but there's emails on it that you could use to get in contact w/ people about the current call for submissions.

Dianna
AGA Blogger

Re: magazine / journal possibilities [Re: Sarah P]
      #1197 - Mon Jul 24 2006 05:44 AM

Meep. First off, thank you. Second off-skills are overrated. I want to survive purely on my writing and tutoring a little in the French area. Frankly I don't think I need anything else but typing and a little bit of basic HTML with a guidebook added in, and knowledge of French, English, and hopefully Japanese. Because Japanese is awesome. And then I can make a lot of money and have a lot of fun translating anime and stuff. Ooo...Japanese video game translating...anime translating which involves watching them...*grins* So. Yeah.

JennaD

Reged: Jul 04 2006
Loc: Scarborough, ON
Re: magazine / journal possibilities [Re: Dianna]
      #1200 - Mon Jul 24 2006 08:22 AM

I don't know where you're getting this idea that skills are overrated. Skills are everything, especially transferrable skills that you can use in a lot of different jobs. Writing *is* a skill, languages *are* skills. You WILL need more than typing and a little HTML. Employers look for things like multi-tasking, effective communication (not just written, but verbal and body language as well), the ability to work well in a team AND on your own, among other things. I know this because I'm in co-op and spent an entire semester learning about employers and employees and what makes them attractive to each other. :-P You will be very, VERY lucky if you can survive only on your writing and a little tutoring. Actually making a living from writing only happens to a select few. A good friend of mine had a book picked up for publishing. He was working at a movie theatre and quit because the place pissed him off, but he doesn't get paid for his book until he submits the final draft, so he really shouldn't have quit the movie theatre without another job lined up. At the moment he's flat broke and doing odd jobs, which he can do because he has skills OTHER than writing.

--------------------
"The ultimate connection cannot be the enemy." - June Jordan

Dianna
AGA Blogger

Re: magazine / journal possibilities [Re: JennaD]
      #1201 - Mon Jul 24 2006 08:38 AM

If I start now, who's to say I can't do it? I have magizines already, I have places I can submit.
Oh yeah, and I can braid. Being bored in detention ends up with amusing things like that.
Self employed. My grandfather is self employed, he freelances and does crosswords for magazines/newspapers he likes, he's got a computer book. If you don't believe it, he basically pays the bills. My mom only gets money for my birth because she lacks in a job, so it's only the usual benefits. He writes geek books though.
'Only a select few' would include Andrea Spalding, Tamora Pierce, Garth Nix, Stephen King, etc. etc.?
The only thing that appeals to me is writing. I don't /want/ to do anything else. I spend most of my time working on my writing. Or, you know, a job translating anime like I mentioned before. I'm pretty selective about what jobs I would want. I ditched babysitting. I dunno about divination or other things, but except for a few bucks off things like braiding, and creative projects, I'm going to be spending most of my time writing. Who knows? Stephen King made it big on something he nearly threw out. If you keep at it long enough, SOMEBODY's bound to read your books and zines and such things, somebody's bound to like it.
Unless you can find me a job advocating for nature. That I might actually care about.

HeatherAdministrator
Be-Musing Momma

Reged: Feb 05 2006
Loc: Seattle, WA
      #1203 - Mon Jul 24 2006 09:35 AM

You know, I think when you're 12, it should be a given that there's not a real need to concern yourself overmuch with "marketable skills" just yet.

Likely, later, yeah: you will have to do things you don't want, take some gigs that aren't all your favorite thing. That's just life and the nature of getting by. I'm self-employed too, have been for most of my life, and for most folks, it tends to mean doing a variety of gigs, odd jobs, taking a FT job for a half year or so sometimes to build up some cash so you can do the work you love, etc.

But for now, I don't see any reason why you can't spend all of your time doing the work you love most of all, exclusively, and focusing entirely on that. Gawd save us all if in the western world we've got to start worrying in jr. high about how to make ends meet full-stop after college, and can't enjoy spending what leisure time we have in our girlhood just doing what we love.

--------------------
If I had to characterize one quality as the genius of feminist thought, culture, and action, it would be the connectivity. - Robin Morgan

Dianna
AGA Blogger

Re: magazine / journal possibilities [Re: Heather]
      #1221 - Tue Jul 25 2006 04:52 AM

I'm overly-money-aware since there's never been much money in my house. We're all eating but dead broke most of the time. I don't want to end up that way, and besides I want money to help pay for university. Although I do get what you mean about not having to worry. I don't, but I can, so I end up worrying anyway. Just that kind of girl.

Laura
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 23 2006
Loc: Monterey, CA
      #1482 - Sun Jul 30 2006 09:28 PM

Dianna it is important to remember that you are still young, and there are many paths available for you to follow even if you cannot see them yet. As a fellow pagan let me explain this perhaps a bit clearer with the image of the celtic tree. I'm not familiar with the celtic mythology side of things because thats not my area per say, but it has its large trunk and it sprouts upwards into many branches, and by the same token digs downwards in many branches as well. I think its a good picture of most of our lives. Perhaps at this point writing is not a marketable skill right now, perhaps education should be considered your main focus. Writing is so very usefull, and it can lead you to more skills than you realize. Since you have a big heart for sharing the truth, Have you thought about journalism? You can start right now by working on your schools newspaper, and use the experience for launching your college career by showing them your seriousness about your writing interest. I was the editor of my high school newspaper, and covered stories that many people were afraid to cover - such as the overcrowding of our school busses which for a period of time actually forced the principals hands in providing us with safer transportation because of the wrath my little article threw his way via the parents.

Don't give up on finding new skills that you can use in your life, its important to try as many things as you can I think. I never thought I would be majoring in world languages and cultures (Japanese), and I never thought that I would be learning an entire new language and considering a move to a completely different country - but I gave something new a chance when I decided I disliked spanish and french enough to try something so foreign in high school. I can already read two of the three writing systems thanks to that. I always thought I would be a web designer when I was younger but it truly didn't make me happy outside of a hobby, I hated that job. ...and I started it when I was 12! I wish I spent more time at home working on my homework! You've got some height to get on your outset to the proffessional world, so please give yourself a little room to grow - and branch out.

Because my family doesn't support me either, I thought I couldn't go to college - and sure I'm working myself to the bone to make things happen here it's possible and you can do it. Enjoy high school, I wish I worried less and studied more.

Edited by Laura (Sun Jul 30 2006 09:37 PM)

Dianna
AGA Blogger

Re: magazine / journal possibilities [Re: Laura]
      #1484 - Sun Jul 30 2006 10:02 PM

I've thought about journalism; but it doesn't give me the same feeling as fiction-writing. I love my work; and I think that the only kind of journalism I would enjoy is something that involved travelling and interviewing; a cousin of mine has that sort of job w. a local newspaper.
Quote:

You can start right now by working on your schools newspaper

Well, I /wish/ I could, but since my school doesn't have one, no go. My other cousin-one of many-went to a school where she was paid to be the editor and there wasn't any competition. On the downside, she was stuck with a bunch of snobby rich kids. I'm going to a different school, an arts school.
Quote:

I never thought I would be majoring in world languages and cultures (Japanese), and I never thought that I would be learning an entire new language and considering a move to a completely different country - but I gave something new a chance when I decided I disliked spanish and french enough to try something so foreign in high school.

You...are learning...Japanese? *Jealous* I LOVE Japanese, it's such a beautiful language...hard to learn, but the way it flows...the way it sounds...the culture....I wish I could find someone to teach me Japanese. My dream would be to live there and teach English...
Quote:

Because my family doesn't support me either, I thought I couldn't go to college - and sure I'm working myself to the bone to make things happen here it's possible and you can do it. Enjoy high school, I wish I worried less and studied more.

Oh, I have the /college/ funds. I'm gonna have to pay for my apartment (no more living at home) and food and such things though. My family's pretty supportive of college/university.

Ellen
AGA Blogger

Loc: New York City, US
      #1486 - Sun Jul 30 2006 10:24 PM

Dianna, does your school have a literary magazine, and if not, could you start one? I went to a very small high school, but some students got together and started a litmag--anyone could submit poetry or short stories, and the litmag would vote it in or out, and at the end of the year they'd get it professionally printed and sell it to the school.

You could also make your own zine of your writing and see if any local independent bookstores will take it on consignment.

As far as actual places to get published, the only ones I can think of right now is Cricket or Cicada. Cricket is a magazine for 9-14 year olds that features a lot of short stories. They also have themed writing or art contests each month that you might be able to submit to. Cicada is for older teens, and I think they accept submissions from young people. You can look at both at www.cricketmag.com . They also have a place where you can post your work for others to review it: http://www.cricketmag.com/activity_display.asp?id=207

Laura
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 23 2006
Loc: Monterey, CA
Re: magazine / journal possibilities [Re: Ellen]
      #1492 - Mon Jul 31 2006 03:37 AM

When I became the editor of my high school newspaper it hadn't existed for years. A small group of students got together with the yearbook teacher there because he had contacts with printers and such, and the school was very supportive of the paper. Don't let that stop you if you don't want it to. Youre going to find people you don't mesh with anywhere and at everytime, you just gotta have faith in yourself.

As far as Japanese goes my teacher in high school had moved here from Japan, learned English, started teaching Japanese and eventually got married even. She was such a neat lady and a big inspiration. She took me under her wing so to speak until the point where I became a poor student because of the distractions I let myself fall into. She gave me my first Japanese rock CD when she heard I was listening to the music, and when I helped her promote our Japanese club she dressed me up in her Kimono. I always felt very honored to be in her company.

I would consider Japan and the United States to be about even as far as women's issues, I couldn't really say for sure - but it is suprising how left brained the Japanese language is as a whole. A really good book in terms of left brain vrs. right brain languages and thier correlation to women's issues throughout history is one called "The Alphabet Vrs. The Goddess".

wailian

Reged: Nov 10 2011
Loc: dsf
Re: magazine / journal possibilities [Re: Laura]
      #6011 - Sun Jan 08 2012 03:45 PM

Previously these types of Cheap NFL Jerseys had been put on through just golf ball gamers, however right now they're put on through all sorts associated with sports athletes simply due to the Jerseys tend to be put on through just about all athletes plus they possess a vibrant background. You are able to purchase this through right here, so that your repayment as well as shipping is going to be safe sufficient. Just point you need to do is actually maintain the razor-sharp hunt upon whenever this kind of provides seriously panel.The actual Fashion True Religion Jeans associated with these days tend to be convenient, lighter in weight, much softer as well as breathable. We know you love hoops. So do we. wearnike.com is the all-in-one NBA fan source for the newest and hottest in hoops--NBA hats, NBA apparel, accessories and more. Hoop it up at wearnike.com this season with Newest NBA Hats and merchandise.Louis Vuitton are so expensive luxurious items and not every body can afford the expensive price. They are beautiful and glamorous and are on the dream list of almost every woman in this world. But as far as I have observed, the target market of these famous fashion labels are celebrities and rich people.Most of the people who bought Replica Louis Vuitton Handbags were satisfied with the top quality and durability. Replica Louis Vuitton also maintained each of every product they created to meet high quality standard.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Beppie, Adrienne, Amy, Zen, CarolineBelle, Eileen 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2507

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement Back to the All Girl Army