Women & Girls Only, All Ages >> Our Bodies, Our Selves

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Zen
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 21 2006
Loc: Nebraska, USA
I'm bleeding...
      #3368 - Mon Nov 27 2006 08:11 PM

Periods. It can ruin sex, diets, underwear, you name it. But, I dn't really mind. In fact, I love it. Most of my friends find it highly unpleasant. What I personally find crappy about my period is the fact that I feel so dirty during it. Not that my body is dirty, but that I as a whole am dirty because society tells us it is right to plug it up, dry it up, and throw it out. I don't want to! Sure, it'd be highly inconvenient to walk around bleeding through everything, but at least I wouldn't smell like fish and get itchy all the time! Maybe that's too much information, I apologize. I started doing research into sea sponge tampons and the Keeper cup. I'm not so hot on the cotton pads, but I'm sure they'd be wonderful for many. I guess I want to know what you girls feel about your periods, and how you feel others feel about it.

--------------------
"As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world." —Virginia Woolf

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jill

Reged: Jun 22 2006
Loc: Irons, MI, US
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Zen]
      #3371 - Tue Nov 28 2006 12:23 AM

I'm bleeding too.

And I dig it for the most part. It's like my body is reminding that yes, I do indeed have a reproductive system lurking about. And I get to use the blood to feed the plants so it works for all the living creatures at my house.

As far as other people's opinions, I've never really been one to care. If I'm talking about my period or something related, I expect everyone to be adult enough to realize we no longer have cooties and just deal with it. It's not like I'm doing something terribly unique here.

It can be a bonding thing as well. I recently met a friend's SO for the first time and the conversation that really took off was the one about cramps.

[Edited to add that when I used the Keeper I smelled like latex a bit more than I wanted to. I've never heard that from anyone else though, nor have I heard anything like that about the Diva Cup.]

Edited by Jill (Tue Nov 28 2006 12:25 AM)

anon

Reged: Jul 22 2006
Loc: NYC
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Jill]
      #3372 - Tue Nov 28 2006 01:16 AM

I despise my period. It is one of the worst things about my body (and that's saying something).

The blood itself? Meeeh. Not a big deal. However, (without birth control) it is incredibly inconsistent and painful. I used to miss at least two days of school for it because I literally could not get out of bed. I couldn't keep anything down, so I kept losing weight--and I'm a lightweight, and it's so hard to gain it back. The average period lasted 12 or 13 days--the longest lasted 17 days.

I'm not ashamed of it--when I'm bleeding, I'm perfectly capable of pulling a tampon out of my bag and walking to the bathroom, whatever company I'm in.

I just don't like having it.

--------------------
I somehow doubt we'll ever be the same--there's too much poison and confusion on your face

Karyn

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: anon]
      #3374 - Tue Nov 28 2006 10:11 AM

I'm also bleeding.

Used to hate it. I didn't start menstruating until I was 17, and the day I started I thought it was the worst thing in the world.

After a couple years of feeling like my body was betraying me every time I had a period, I went on hormonal birth control and thought my problems were somewhat solved - I still had to bleed but at least it was in a regular, predictable fashion. Something about being on birth control, though, flipped a switch in my brain and I started to realize that I actually missed my period the way it was supposed to happen. After stopping the pill, I'm back to being highly irregular, but I'm enjoying the process of figuring out what my body's doing, and learning to recognize the little signals it gives me to tell me what it's up to, and that's just so cool to me. It's nice to know that everything's working properly, that my body is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

I've also completely gotten over any shame related to talking about periods, and I've been enthusiastically recommending the DivaCup, Lunapads and Lunapanties to anyone who will listen.

(The DivaCup, for the record, hasn't given me any problems with any sort of smell - maybe because it's silicone instead of rubber? Dunno.)

JennyAdministrator
Be-Musing Momma

Reged: Jun 12 2006
Loc: Minnesota
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Karyn]
      #3375 - Tue Nov 28 2006 10:47 AM

I'm bleeding too! I just started using Instead during my last cycle, and didn't mind them at all. Prior to that, I used OB, which I also quite like.

I too had really awful, painful, totally moody and weak periods when I was younger, and hormonal birth control helped, though it took some switching around. Now I rarely ever get cramps, and my flow is often so light that toward the end of my period I can wear a panty liner.

--------------------
No matter what your fight, don’t be ladylike! God Almighty made women and the Rockefeller gang of thieves made the ladies. ~Mother Jones

Brooke
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 23 2006
Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Jenny]
      #3376 - Tue Nov 28 2006 11:09 AM

I don't have any problems with my period anymore, but I admit I am still pretty shy about it. I just started making cloth pads for my post-partum bleeding (for those of you who don't know, women bleed and then have a lighter colored discharge for a few weeks after they give birth)...and my boyfriend told one of our friends about it over the phone and I was really embrassed, even though it was a female friend he was talking to. I guess I still don't feel comfortable with people knowing about stuff like that. When I was getting my period, I was pretty happy about getting it. It meant I wasn't pregnant and I also think periods are how our bodies cleanse themselves. I also used to get alot of pain when I was younger which made me hate my period, but once I started excercising, eating better and taking vitamins I stopped having pain almost completely. I don't think periods "ruin" sex either...I always liked having a break where my body could be my own...but lots of women do have sex during their periods and enjoy it more then having sex at other times.

BTW for those of you who are luke-warm about trying out cloth pads, you should look at some of the cloth pad groups on livejournal.com. They have lots of great information, cool pictures and tips on how to make your own. I admit I was a little shaky about the idea at first, but when I saw pictures of everyone elses pads that had cute patterns and colors I was really inspired to created my own. I already love mine, they are green and camo...I can't wait to use them.

Kampire
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 20 2006
Loc: Ohio
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Brooke]
      #3377 - Tue Nov 28 2006 03:00 PM

I think that the idea of creating your own cloth pads is a fabulous one even though I've never done it myself.

I'm bleeding too. My period and I have a love-hate relationship. When I first get it I am thankful that my body is working as it should but then when the cramps and the heavy bleeding begin I get cranky.

I really want to start using sea sponge tampons because I know that my body doesn't like the commercial, bleached ones that I keep shoving into it.

--------------------
Speaking out for women's rights: voice4choice.org

Zen
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 21 2006
Loc: Nebraska, USA
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Kampire]
      #3378 - Tue Nov 28 2006 04:02 PM

I hadn't thought about the smelling like latex, but I could see it being possible. Maybe I will research into the Diva Cup more, I've heard nice things about it, too. I guess I'm nervous about cloth pads because I usually wear tight...ish jeans, and I don't want to feel heavier than my period already makes me feel. If I could make ultra thin ones, I'd be in heaven!

--------------------
"As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world." —Virginia Woolf

HeatherAdministrator
Be-Musing Momma

Reged: Feb 05 2006
Loc: Seattle, WA
      #3379 - Tue Nov 28 2006 04:31 PM

Lunapanties could also be your very best friend.

I know they're mine.

One thing I wish more people would tell young women about is that the older you get, them more your cycles really settle down: all the more so if when you're in your teens, your eating habits suck. I worry that negative attitudes about it all so early can be really hard to shake, and as is the case with any kind of pain, how we think about something makes such a big difference as to how we experience it in our bodies.

Heck, when I first got my period, they hand't even invented Ibuprofen yet, and I had TERRIBLE periods, the sort where you cannot sleep for days on end. (And lord gawd, aspirin for cramps? Please. Doesn't do a darn thing.) There was also SO much crazy weirdness in my house about periods, laregly due to an abusive, woman-hating stepparent. I actually HID used pads in my closet because no matter how much toilet paper I wrapped them in, if they got seen in the trash, some sort of really creepy teasing would happen. And I learned the hard way that flushing them wasn't an option. Ugh.

So, so happy to see more positive attitudes when they appear. I recently read a sample chap from a new sexuality book by a young college sex writer, and the whole approach to everything to do with the female genitals and reproductive system was basically "yeah, it all sucks, it's gross, it's ugly, it's yucky, but we might as well deal with it." ARGH!

--------------------
If I had to characterize one quality as the genius of feminist thought, culture, and action, it would be the connectivity. - Robin Morgan

BeppieAdministrator

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Heather]
      #3381 - Tue Nov 28 2006 05:08 PM

Heh, I'm bleeding too.

Heather, funnily enough, before I was on the pill, asprin was the ONLY painkiller that reduced my cramps at all. It worked even when uber-strong ones prescribed by the doctor didn't. (Not that I took both at the same time-- I tried the prescription ones one month, asprin the next). Each to her own, eh?

HeatherAdministrator
Be-Musing Momma

Reged: Feb 05 2006
Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Beppie]
      #3382 - Tue Nov 28 2006 05:44 PM

If aspirin works, actually, it's usually because of the blood-thinning effect it has and how it can inhibit prostaglandins: so your cramps were likely due to excessive prostaglandin issues.

Which is why for women with that issue, (usually called primary dysmenorrhea: which is also the type that tends to go away over time) it is sometimes really effective to take one aspirin a day for a few days before the period starts and the day of.

--------------------
If I had to characterize one quality as the genius of feminist thought, culture, and action, it would be the connectivity. - Robin Morgan

Brooke
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 23 2006
Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Heather]
      #3383 - Tue Nov 28 2006 06:32 PM

Asprin is the only pain killer that seems to help ease any sort of pain I have. Midol and Ibuprofen don't seem to do anything for me. I've also heard that if you take Ibuprofen three days before your period starts it reduces cramps. I think when I got my period back, if I do get cramps I'll try using a hot pad and taking a good multi-vitamin before I run for the typical pain pills. Lots of women also say using alternative products reduces their cramps.

How thick cloth pads are depends on the type of material used. Some makes use terry cloth, some use hemp, some use cotton, some makers make panty liners for their pads, while others make all in ones...so there is alot of variation out there and lots of women who actually will actually make custom pads that are as thick or thin as you want. As far as the Keeper, its a little bit more expensive then the Diva Cup and it's made of latex which alot of people are allergic to.

Julia
AGA Blogger

Reged: Aug 19 2006
Loc: Virginia
      #3384 - Tue Nov 28 2006 06:48 PM

I was just recently bleeding

I feel that one of the best pieces in Eve Ensler's The Vagina Monologues is the one called My Angry Vagina. The character expresses her hatred of products meant to stuff up and hide women during their periods. It seems so true when she rants to, "Stop shoving things up me. Stop shoving and stop cleaning it up. My vagina doesn't need to be cleaned up. It smells good already..."

My own periods are average, nothing special. I find that when we are younger, womanhood is celebrated and happy- I waited a long time to get my period and when I did (at 11 and 1/2), it was exciting and fun. So were my growing hips and older features. Until middle school, when I realized that I'm not really supposed to like those things, they should be the bane of my existance.

summergoddess

Reged: Aug 17 2006
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Brooke]
      #3386 - Tue Nov 28 2006 06:55 PM

I've been menstruating since I was almost 14. I do have a love-hate relationship with my period.

I'm a ex-pad user. It drove me crazy. I didn't like how I had to protect my undies from getting blood on with the pads. When I was 17, I introduced my body to tampons and my body loves it. I feel so much better about myself, and I don't have to be so embarrased about being on my period.

Even though, I have been sexually active for years now (I'm now 23 and married), I still have intercourse with my period going on. I am one of those people that gain more pleasure when I am on my time of the month rather than other times of the month.

Birth control has done wonders for me since I was 18. I have lighter blood flow and very regular. I like knowing when to really expect my period. It's not to say that I had period problems before BC. My period was regular by the time I was 15 1/2, i had the normal cramps (usually iprofen or extra strength asprin did the trick) and etc. I did like not having my period when I was on Depo-Provera but I've been back with the pill for a year now and this way is better for me

--------------------
Jules

JoeyModerator
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 13 2006
Loc: Germany
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: summergoddess]
      #3391 - Wed Nov 29 2006 01:42 AM

I hate to say it and I am trying to work on changing that, but I really really dislike my period. I feel completely insecure when I am bleeding. I'm convinced every knows just from looking at me. Even though I know it's completely unreasonable, I still feel that way.

And it's not even as though my period is so heavy and horrible. It's always been on the light side, I've never had cramps, and since I started the pill, it's also wonderfully predictable.

Still. I dread that time of the month.

--------------------
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand-

Kampire
AGA Blogger

Loc: Ohio
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Joey]
      #3400 - Wed Nov 29 2006 12:25 PM

Just out of curiosity Joey, why does it matter if everyone knows that you're on your period?

--------------------
Speaking out for women's rights: voice4choice.org

JoeyModerator
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 13 2006
Loc: Germany
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Kampire]
      #3401 - Wed Nov 29 2006 02:30 PM

I don't even know why it would matter. But I've just always been horribly embarrassed about it. I won't even pay for my pads at the check-out that has a male cashier. I'll go to the one that has a female cashier. It's insane.

(The really wierd part is that everyone in my family has always been really open about it. My mom is the kind of person who'll discuss her period with just about anyone, regardless of whether they really need to know. And when she does that, rather than feeling empowererd, I feel embarrassed for her. I've been trying to figure out why I feel this way, because I do realize that it's fairly pathetic, but I just can't help it.)

--------------------
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand-

BeppieAdministrator

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Joey]
      #3402 - Thu Nov 30 2006 03:02 PM

Don't call yourself pathetic Joey. Lots of women DO feel that way. I used to feel that way in the first couple years of my period. After that, I suddenly found that remembering that approximately 1/4 women/girls-- and 1/8 of all people over the age of 12 or so-- around me were having their period at the same time as me helped.

Dianna
AGA Blogger

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Beppie]
      #3484 - Wed Jan 03 2007 11:39 AM

The periods are horribly unpleasant for me since I can barely predict which half of the month they'll be in so I wake up with blood soaked underwear.
And then they go away for up to 24 hours until I find myself bleeding again.
Never had cramps though...

JennyAdministrator
Be-Musing Momma

Reged: Jun 12 2006
Loc: Minnesota
Re: I'm bleeding... [Re: Dianna]
      #3490 - Wed Jan 03 2007 08:15 PM

That sounds inconvenient, Dianna. At this point, even though I'm *fairly* regular, I've more or less come to expect that some of my underwear are simply going to be stained.

--------------------
No matter what your fight, don’t be ladylike! God Almighty made women and the Rockefeller gang of thieves made the ladies. ~Mother Jones

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Ellen, Joey, Irmelin, Heather, CarolineBelle, Eileen 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11227

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement Back to the All Girl Army