Women & Girls Only, All Ages >> Rant & Rave

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
DiannaModerator
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 20 2006
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Short. Hair.
      #624 - Sun Jul 09 2006 04:26 PM

If you see a picture of me just under a year ago, you'll notice something oddly different than a picture now...or a picture from any of the past twelve years of my life, pretty much. Right up until last october. Then, all of a sudden, you're bound to think this:

WHERE THE HECK DID ALL HER HAIR GO?

Now, assuming you are a Bowmore kid, you'll probably stare in shock at me...oh wait that's november but the point's still the same. You're bound to wonder about the short hair and where it came from...well I did it for two reasons. 1. In a fight, long hair can be pulled and is thus a really annoying disadvantage and 2. Less tangled up...oh wait there's a third...SHOCK VALUE.

'Cause, you know, girls don't have short hair. Especially not our snobby rich kid good little beaches brats! But I did...which automatically makes me a dyke...wait, I like a guy? But I have short hair? How can that be possible?

Oh. Gods. That sort of thing makes me sick to my stomache-I wear jeans and I'm never caught in revealing clothing, or even colourful clothing. And now I have short hair, too? Oh yes, *gaspshockdies*. Well...LIVE WITH IT. I've had short hair for a while now, and people have gotten used to it. I figure that means it's time to grow my hair back and dye it black. I just wish it would grow faster. But, by next year, I should have long hair again.

Why? Because I want to. Why to that? Well, uh...cause short hair is boring as hell. And the dyes? Think about it, I've always wanted black/red hair. I've had red, and black seems like an excellent try. So I'm either going to dye it black or some outrageous shade of purple. But that doesn't make me 'more feminine'-that makes me a girl with long hair. At least the barbers didn't give me crap for wanting to cut the stuff off.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AndreaModerator
AGA Blogger

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Short. Hair. [Re: Dianna]
      #627 - Sun Jul 09 2006 06:53 PM

I was in probably the exact same situation when I was in middle school. I wanted to do something drastic to my hair, and "outrageous colors" weren't allowed, so I cut it all off right before the first day of school. Ohhhh, that year was cruel to me.

I couldn't *believe* how differently I was treated, from the year before. It was like I went from having the entire grade on my side to being spat at in the hallways. Honestly, I was really really hurt by how people treated me - even my teachers and parents were pretty harsh. But putting up with their flack and still being able to enjoy the way I looked made me feel really strong, in the end.

What is it about being a young girl with short hair that makes people so angry? My guess is that it strips us of that pretty-girl image that everybody thinks little girls yearn for.

I guess we're proof that pretty-girl images aren't for everybody, even in middle school and high school!

--------------------
"In actual fact the female function is to explore, discover, intent, solve problems, crack jokes, make music all with love."
Valerie Solanas

crsteen

Reged: Jul 06 2006
Loc: new jersey
      #628 - Sun Jul 09 2006 06:55 PM

i never understood the whole short hair = unfeminine. just look at louise brooks, how could anyone claim that she was "unfeminine?" plus she was a career woman, a trend setter, an artist, dancer, writer, and a free thinker.

except for a few lapses, i've had bobbed hair since college and have dyed it ever shade in the rainbow. i'm a straight woman and never found it to have any negative effects when it came to dating. i found there are men who prefer short hair and men who don't.

also, have you ever noticed at the barber or hair salon that prices for a woman's hair cut are more expensive than for a man's? i've had male friends who had hair longer than mine (down to their shoulders and beyond) who were charged less for a haircut than me merely (to what i assume) due to gender.

i think the cost of one's haircut should be based on what technique is employed (a simple trim would cost less than a completely new coif) as opposed to gender. dontcha think?

Ellen
AGA Blogger

Loc: New York City, US
      #629 - Sun Jul 09 2006 06:55 PM

Coolness!

Over the past three years, I've had short hair I cut off myself, bright red/pink hair, purple hair, blue hair, a "mohawk", a shaved head, and now almost-chin length hair my natural color that I've been growing out since the shaved head, for well over a year.

Black hair could be fun. Also I used to get a gorgeous purple color by dying my hair blue, letting it fade slightly, then dying it purple. Gave a much richer color. I think that's pretty much the only hair/beauty tip I've ever given, and I think I'll keep it that way.

Have fun with your hair. Mine seems to grow faster in the summer, though I've heard hair's supposed to grow more in the winter.

Sarah P

Reged: Jun 25 2006
Loc: Toronto, ONT, Canada
Re: Short. Hair. [Re: Ellen]
      #631 - Sun Jul 09 2006 07:51 PM

i had a friend in highschool who had some serious dye-fetish going on.... her hair was a different colour on a monthly basis. she wore them all really well, but when she gave her naturally blonde hair a light pink rinse (i think she'd intended for vivid magenta, but the colour was weak), it was the highlight. i think she's the only person i know who i can say looked like a natural and literal strawberry blonde.
very cool.

i shaved my head in highschool, and really liked the feeling of the night on my head.... you feel the summer wind a lot more, and notice the sun on your head. lovely.

there was a woman i used to see around my university campus who had a shaved head - she was a really high femme individual. always immaculately dressed in skirts, jewellery and makeup. her shaved head, while initially seeming like an inversion of the rest of her style, gradually became an exclamation point to her appearance. she stood out. she radiated confidence.

i definitely wasn't working high femme style when i shaved my head.... it was just a low-maintenance and counter-culture move for me. but this woman def. expanded a bic'ed scalp's potential for me.

DiannaModerator
AGA Blogger

Re: Short. Hair. [Re: Sarah P]
      #634 - Sun Jul 09 2006 08:27 PM

Yup...my Nan's hair is short and she still wears the occassional skirt.
My hair grows at a decent speed, but it feels like too slow because you don't notice it every day...

Brooke
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 23 2006
Loc: Pennsylvania
      #637 - Sun Jul 09 2006 11:03 PM

I have had just about every length of hair possible...well except I have never actually shaved my head or had a Mohawk. In middle school I had waist length locks which I hated, but was forced to keep. I kept cutting my hair shorter and shorter until I ended with a kind of boyish bowl cut, actually the same cut I had at the age of 4 lol. It looked pretty nice and I really liked it, but it grew out in a week and the person who cut it the first time moved to WV. I tired to get someone else to cut it and I ended up with the same stupid hair cut I had before, long in the front, short in the back. Because my hair is wavy that looks really bad on me. So now, I am growing my hair back out so that I can cut it into a hair cut like Trinity in the Matrix. That way I can just cut it myself and not have to worry about going to a salon every two weeks.
I actually felt more feminine with my hair cut short, then long. I felt kind of like Twiggy or Audrey Hepburn. I might go back to the super short look if I find someone who is good at cutting my hair. I have really thick, wavy hair and most people are trained how to make your hair look thicker, not how to cut it to reduce weight.

Ellen
AGA Blogger

Re: Short. Hair. [Re: Brooke]
      #645 - Sun Jul 09 2006 11:59 PM

Near my (former) school, there was this guy who had a barber shop where he specialized only in women's short haircuts. It was kind of neat, because we had a place to go to get women's short hair from someone who knows how to do it and wouldn't talk you out of it, but kind of bad, because he was pretty much only into doing feminine styles and didn't always do things quite how you wanted.

The thing I liked about being a woman with short hair was that there was nothing to hide behind. I don't quite know how to explain better.

This thread is making me want to cut my hair again, and I've worked so hard to grow it back out!

Joey
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 13 2006
Loc: Germany
      #649 - Mon Jul 10 2006 01:30 AM

I hated hated hated long hair when I was little. Occasionally my mom would have me grow it out so she could style my hair and give me cute little pigtails and such, but in the end I always won and it was cut short again. The last time I had it cut really short was when I was 12. Then I got tired of that and decided to try out what I could do with long hair when I was the one calling the shots. First thing I did? Dyed it blue. So ever since freshman year of high school, my hair has been shoulder length-ish now, except for last spring when, after having hit rock-bottom and worked my way out of that again, I decided that I needed a haircut to symbolize the change that had taken place. So my hair was cut way short again and suddenly I hated the way that looked. So. But now it's long again and I think it's time I do something colourful with it again.

--------------------
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand-

Nicole
AGA Blogger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Re: Short. Hair. [Re: Joey]
      #650 - Mon Jul 10 2006 03:24 AM

I cut off nearly all of my hair about a year ago by myself after ending things with a boyfriend who loved my long, flowing hair. "That'll show him!" I'm still not sure of the logic behind this.

I've kept it this way, and now it's dyed a funky color. I hacked it off in a thoughtless moment, but it turned out to be a great move on my part.

--------------------
I could never find myself in your culture.

KampireModerator
AGA Blogger

Loc: Ohio
Re: Short. Hair. [Re: Nicole]
      #660 - Mon Jul 10 2006 07:44 PM

I have been wanting to cut my hair short for a long long time and have never been quite brave enough. In fact Im writing a blog post about it right now

--------------------
Speaking out for women's rights: voice4choice.org

HeatherAdministrator
Be-Musing Momma

Reged: Feb 05 2006
Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Short. Hair. [Re: Kampire]
      #662 - Mon Jul 10 2006 08:09 PM

In the mid-nineties, we had a crazy heat wave in Chicago where it got up to 105 degrees. At the time, I had hair nearly to my waist.

It occurred to me that I could manage the heat in two ways, especially given the fact that I was working outside half the time, usually for very long days: I could get an air conditioner or I could cut my hair.

I don't like A/C. I like fresh, real air.

And on top of that, by virtue of having very long, wavy red-blonde hair it seemd that people seemed to interpret me visually as in desire of rescue. It was incredibly annoying, since I have never had any desire to be a damsel in distress. Plus, taking care of long hair can be a serious pain in the tuchas.

So, I tried cutting it a bit shorter twice, and ended up just shaving it off.

(You might find it amazusing, Dianna, to know that per your somments about being called a dyke? When my hair was long, even out WITH a girlfriend, men and women both would insist I must be hetero because I had long hair. Has happened many times in my life. Yet, when I had my head shaved, despite being partnered with a man at the time, I got all this ludicrous lesbian-cred. Silliness, on everyone's part, male and female alike. And the first day I had my head shaved, the garage I always went into to buy oil for my van, for the very first time offerred me a funnel: apparently, only with short hair could I finally change my own oil. Ugh.)

I look seriously dumb with no hair: my face and head are just too round for it to work. Plus, I love my hair: it's wild, it's unique (especially now that white streaks have starting growing into it), and I didn't feel like myself without it.

Over time, I grew it back in, and I keep it long now, but it was GREAT having no hair for a while. being able to wash your hair with a bar of soap! Always having it out of your face, no problem! That nice, soft chicken-fuzz on the back of your neck! No money for trims or cuts! Nothing to fuss over!

--------------------
If I had to characterize one quality as the genius of feminist thought, culture, and action, it would be the connectivity. - Robin Morgan

DiannaModerator
AGA Blogger

Re: Short. Hair. [Re: Heather]
      #665 - Mon Jul 10 2006 09:01 PM

Yeah, short hair can be really awesome. But long, funky coloured hair is way awesomer.
By the way, I OFFICIALLY envy you. Red hair has always been my fave.

HeatherAdministrator
Be-Musing Momma

Reged: Feb 05 2006
Loc: Seattle, WA
      #672 - Tue Jul 11 2006 01:58 AM

No need for envy: so much of it is grey at this point most of the red is hennaed/streaked back in. You too, with the aid of henna or dye, can have red hair, and likely sans freckles, crazy frizzies and ashy-grey wackiness.

(Plus, as a kid, all it gets you is teased.)

--------------------
If I had to characterize one quality as the genius of feminist thought, culture, and action, it would be the connectivity. - Robin Morgan

Ellen
AGA Blogger

Re: Short. Hair. [Re: Heather]
      #674 - Tue Jul 11 2006 10:36 AM

I'm thinking of going for reddish hair with the aid of dye (I heard you can't dye over henna, so if it comes out bad, you're stuck, which put me off of that idea.) I'm worried it will come out an unnatural shade or that it'll look weird because my eyebrows are dark blonde. At the same time, I think red hair would work for me. But I also think I ought to embrace my natural hair color... or something. Clearly, I need to ponder this a bit more.

Brooke
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 23 2006
Loc: Pennsylvania
      #681 - Tue Jul 11 2006 12:11 PM

Its hard to get your hair the right shade of red using a dye. This is partly because red hair isn't just red, it has blond, brown and black in it. Some unnatural shades of auburn look really cool though.

Adrienne
AGA Blogger

Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: Short. Hair. [Re: Brooke]
      #683 - Tue Jul 11 2006 01:14 PM

What you could do is buy a few shades of dye, do a base color, and then add in highlights and lowlights, wrapping those strands up in tin foil so that the color stays on those strands only.

And I think if you're extremely, extremely careful, you can do your eyebrows, but I think they're supposed to match the darkest tone in your hair. (I know they do it at salons when you radically change your hair color, and I've had friends bleach and dye theirs.)

--------------------
Life under construction. Signature will have to wait.

DiannaModerator
AGA Blogger

Re: Short. Hair. [Re: Adrienne]
      #685 - Tue Jul 11 2006 01:30 PM

Actually, I had this *perfect* red dye last year, it was some Clairol brand I think, beginning with a G maybe...
It was really dark and really sweeet.
I actually have a friend who's had blue hair since he was 16.
It's waaay totally awesome. I love it
Actually, I'm super hyper for my hair to grow back so that I can dye it black.

Amy
AGA Blogger

Loc: Yorkshire, England, UK
      #720 - Thu Jul 13 2006 07:05 PM

Lots of people loving short hair! Growing up I was the opposite, I wanted to grow long hair but my mum always wanted to hack it off - she often practised her hairdressing skills on me (she's not a hairdresser just a DIY kinda woman). I remember this girl at school having the longest pigtails, and you know how hair goes shorter in pigtails? I used to imagine having my hair that long and I used to want it like that too.

I switched schools when I was 14, and my mum hacked off my hair, to give me a change to some sort of above-ear utterly shapeless length. It was bad. I grew it, got highlights, got highlights again, dyed it dark brown repeatedly for ages and experimented with fringes (bad idea). I'm naturally a sort of dark blonde, bronze colour (but was very light blonde as a child), and this march I decided I wanted to try dying it a red-brown colour. Having grown it to its natural colour for ages I actually cried, and cried, and cried. I hated it! Such a bad colour, it's very difficult to get redness out of a box that looks good. Hence for my birthday this june I got it chin-length, dyed it darkish brown with some blonde chunks in, all done professionally!

I think next, I'll go back to my natural colour.

--------------------
It's high time you find diamonds in this coalmine called me.

Jennifer
AGA Blogger

Reged: Jun 25 2006
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Short. Hair. [Re: Amy]
      #2029 - Sun Aug 20 2006 05:49 PM

I've had short hair since I can remember. I hated it when I was little. My dad made me cut it off Dorothy Hammel (sp?) style because I didn't take care of it. Mind you, I was in the 2nd grade... but he was a single father and didn't have time for my hair.

I started growing my hair back out in the 6th grade and cut it drastically short in the 9th grade, for my 16th birthday. I lived in this real small town in Illinois and was brought to tears daily by the rude comments. I don't know why I cried; I guess I just wanted everyone to love my hair as much as I did.

When I moved to Tucson, I finally knew why I had short hair. It's freaking hot here!!! (112 yesturday). I never had a maternal influence teach me how to take care of my hair. So I taught myself in high school, my way. No curlers, no blow dryers, no stress. I still get called a dyke/tomboy by people but I push it off my shoulder thinking, "they're just jealous because I look super hot/ super femme/ super comfortable." Sometimes I'm lying to myself, because the comments do sting... but I try to fake it until I make it.

And I'm pretty proud that it only takes me about an hour to get ready, including my shower.

--------------------
"We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way."

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dianna, Andrea, Kampire, Heather, CarolineBelle, Eileen 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5665

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy statement Back to the All Girl Army